8 Dead Plus Shooter In Shooting at FedEx Warehouse in Indianapolis, Multiple Victims Reported

April 16, 2021

By Laura Alejandra Sugahara Murgueitio

Ganae Cook, Officer of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department declared to reporters this morning that there were "multiple people with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds" as a result of the shooting. 9 are dead, including the active shooter.

She also declared that there was no active threat to the community because the assailant was believed to have taken his own life.

The IMPD said the shooting happened in the FedEx facility located in the 8900 block of Mirabel Road, Indianapolis. Until the time of this report, there is no information about the exact number of victims. 

FedEx sent a statement regarding the shooting saying: "We are aware of the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground Facility near the Indianapolis airport. Safety is our top priority, and our thoughts are with all those who are affected. We are working to gather more information and are cooperating with investigating authorities".

A reporter spoke with one of the victim's family members who says his niece was in her car when a gunman started shooting at her vehicle. "She called as I was asleep at home. She said there was a shooting in the FedEx. So we just drove from Brownsburg", said Parminder Sight, the uncle of one of the victims of the shooting. 

Police say the the shootng lasted for almost two minutes and the families of the victims are gathered at a nearby hotel to learn of more information regarding their loved ones. Many employees did not have cell phones on them due to the rules of the company.

WISH, a local station, quoted an employee at the warehouse, Jeremiah Miller, as saying that he had heard up to 10 shots after finishing his shift, according to The New York Times. “This made me stand up and actually look out the entrance door, and I saw a man with a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open,” Mr. Miller told the station. “I immediately ducked down and got scared and my friend’s mother, she came in and told us to get inside the car.”

This is an ongoing investigation.