Mother Drowns 3 Children In New York

September 12, 2022

By: Mary Moore

Photo by: Robert Mecea

Erin Merdy, 30, drowned her three children to death Monday morning around 4:40 a.m. at the Coney Island beach, according to The New York Post. 

The small victims were identified as 3-month-old Oliver, 4-year-old Liliana, and 7-year-old Zachary.

Police responded to the scene at West 35th Street near the shoreline and just minutes away from where Merdy lived.

“The mother was soaking wet,” NYPD Chief of Department Kenneth Corey said at a press conference. “Whether she had been out in the rain or whether she had been in the water, again, is all speculative at this point. She was wet, she was barefoot, and she was not communicative to the officers.”

According to reports Merdy suffered from mental illness so she was taken to the NYU Langone Hospital in Brooklyn to be evaluated after being questioned by police at the 60th Precinct. When Merdy was discovered at the crime scene she was soaking wet.

Several members of Merdy’s family also suffer from mental illness, say’s aunt Dine Stephen.

She was “struggling” as “she was trying to find her way through life.”

“We’re devastated. They were kids. They were adorable kids,” said Stephen.

“It’s someone who was struggling, and no one knew how bad the struggle was.”

“She loved her children. She loved her children very much. It was the mental issues that took over.”

The initial call came from several family members who alerted the police since they feared that Merdy would harm the children after speaking with her.

Police went to Merdy’s home to conduct a welfare check around 1:40 a.m. where there was no answer and were met by one of the children’s fathers.

After an intense search for the victims Merdy was found but without her children and with family members. 

Officers attempted to treat the children at the scene but sadly they were all pronounced dead at a local hospital. 

There is a history of complaints coming from one of the child’s fathers stating that there was an issue with Merdy showing up to exchange one of the children. 

As of now, police are still investigating as they wait to get the autopsy results. No charges have been filed at this time.